Learn Ruby on Rails in 8 short steps and build your first Rails app by following practical video tutorials from the 'Jump Start Rails' book author Andy Hawthorne.
In just 2 hours you can complete the course and then dive straight into the accompanying book 'Jump Start Rails' to complete your learning.
What you'll learn
- Start the course by setting up your Rails environment, then move on to creating your first app from scratch
- Along the way you’ll learn to work with controllers, layouts and scaffolds, plus adding a log in system and extra gems
- By the end you’ll have deployed your new app to Heroku, one of the preferred hosting platforms for Rails apps
- It’s the complete Rails introduction
- Manipulate controllers to produce flexible layouts
- Set up Twitter Bootstrap on your app
- Control access to resources
- Take advantage of Markdown and helper methods
Who should do this
The course is perfect for any web developer trying to get started on Ruby and Ruby on Rails 4 quickly.
Back end developers experienced on other programming languages such as PHP will be able to get up to speed with Rails’ fundamentals in a couple of hours.
It is assumed that you know your way about the command line, and some programming fundamentals. Understanding the basics of back-end programming is recommended.